||1 cup of milk
1 slice of bread
2.5 pounds hamburger (minced beef)
1 chopped onion (medium size)
1/2 cup seedless raisins
3 teaspoons apricot jam
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup blanched almonds
2 teaspoons medium (or hot) curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cooking oil
4 bay leaves
||1. Soak the bread in 1/2 cup milk and squeeze dry. Mix it with the hamburger.
2. Mix all the other ingredients in except the remaining milk, oil, eggs and bay leaves.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan and brown the meat mixture lightly.
4. Turn out into a casserole.
5. Beat eggs with remaining milk and pour over meat.
6. Garnish with bay leaves and bake at 350 F until set.
7. Serve with plain or yellow rice.
||Bobotie is one of South Africa's best known traditional dishes. It has a sweet and spicy (as hot as you like it) taste. Bobotie is truly a must if you want to explore your South African palette.